Friday, April 9, 2010

breaking the habit


I interviewed a girl yesterday for my school paper who had just won $1 thousand dollars for quitting smoking.
(BTW where's the weight loss competition that offers $1 thousand as a prize?? there's your obesity solution!)

While I was talking to her about her addiction to cigarettes and how she always smoked while doing other things it struck a chord with me.

I actually had to stop myself from comparing her nicotine routine to my eating habits.
She was talking about inhaling poison and cancer-causing toxins and I wanted to talk about how much I loved having a Wendy's cheeseburger while watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on my laptop.

My addiction is food.
And diet coke, but I'm not giving that up.

I like to eat when I'm watching TV.
I like to get a treat when I'm driving somewhere.
I like to eat when I'm doing homework
When I go somewhere there's always part of me who's looking forward to the food that's going to be available.

How did this happen? I come from a muscular, active family.
Both my parents are athletes.
My brother is ripped and he barely works out
My sister is skinnier AND taller than me. *did I mention I'm older than both of them?

So it's time to break the habit.
Luckily for me I can replace the junk I eat with healthier alternatives.
I'm not sure what the alternative to nicotine is.
But I think just cutting it out is the only option.

1 comment:

  1. i'm not skinnier then you peach - sister bear

    ReplyDelete